Saturday, September 25

It's Alive!

History Comes Alive!
Well, I've just completed a veeeery long week.  I participated in the Parks department's annual program, History Comes Alive.  We host several fourth grade classes from various area elementary schools, and have six hands-on learning stations for them each day.  The university here in town participates as well, by sending teaching students to help us man our stations and do some of the teaching along with us.  I don't think I've been this tired in a really long time!  It is exhausting to have to teach 6 sessions every day--and the classes were only a half hour long!  My station consisted of teaching the kids how wool would be turned into clothing, as well as how dyeing was done, and what kids their age would wear in the 1840s.  I am now entirely confident that I did not miss my calling as a teacher!!  I do enjoy sharing my knowledge of cultural history with others.  However, there is a huge difference between the attention span of children and the attention span of adults/families that visit the house for our programs.  Parents usually, well, parent their children.  I was surprised, and rather disappointed, at the lack of discipline and control that the teachers and chaperones showed during the class time.  There were some good teachers/chaperones who did pay attention to their class's behavior, but most teachers apparently thought that we were entirely in charge of their classes and they had a day off.  I even had a teacher who talked on her cell phone just outside of the barn building where we were having our class.  As if I needed any more reasons for supporting home schooling!

Finally, Some Good News!
Well, it's official...my hubby has a new position at work!  He found out this week.  He will finally have a normal hours, five day a week job!  Home at night and on the weekends, and it works out great now since I'll be starting my new job as well.  We both begin on Oct. 4.  It'll be wonderful to see him again!  And thank you to everyone who has kept him in your prayers.  It has been a trying month, to put it lightly, and we have both appreciated the prayers.  They have made a difference!

This Bud's For You
We had a unique opportunity to see something that you don't get to see everyday: the Budweiser Clydesdales!  They were at the local Oktoberfest here in town, which we had to chuckle at: it was at the local senior center, and it was just a large beer tent with the Clydesdales as the other main attraction.  I've never been to an Oktoberfest, so is there usually more to them than just a beer tent?  Anyway, the team was so impressive to see, and beautiful, too--they are huge but gentle.  A gentle giant, you might say.  They were all harnessed together, in their show attire, and impeccably groomed, as were the drivers and the dalmatian that sat with the drivers.  I was so glad that hubby and I were able to see them before they left town.  Check out the photos and video clip at the end of the entry!

There is always a reason for the trials in our lives.  God allows us to endure tests--some small, some large--to strengthen our faith in Him.  James 1:2-3 &12 says it best: "2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance...12Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him."




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Your input is appreciated. Don't worry, it'll post soon. Have a good day!

ShareThis