Monday, August 16

The Joys of Marriage

Oh, the joys of marriage.  We've been married for six years now, and I'm still learning new things about my wonderful companion.  I suppose we never stop learning, really...I mean, the relationship would get really boring if you knew everything about the other person, right?  I'm sure my husband could write a really long entry about the faults and quirks he has discovered in me over the years, but he doesn't have a blog :).  With my hubby's current job position, I have had to get used to being on a different schedule than him for half of the year.  That includes not going to bed at the same time at night.  When he switches from night shifts to day shifts (and vice versa), I have to get used to either being alone at night or having someone next to me at night.  I was made quite aware of hubby's presence in bed when he switched back to days a few weeks ago, after having baked beans two days in a row.  Need I say more??  I seriously considered camping out on the couch!  And yet, we can both laugh about it.  It's funny the things that we inadvertently subject our better halves to, such as the repercussions of two days in a row of baked beans to frigid feet/toes/hands to snoring, having conversations in our sleep, and whatever else you can think of (I'm sure that there is much more that you can add to the list).  I think that it's great to have such a deep and meaningful relationship with another person that you can be so comfortable, and even vulnerable, with another person.  Marriage is great like that, especially when you have found that one person.  Yes, it is a LOT of work, you have to choose to love your spouse each day, hour, and minute, and you don't always agree with your spouse, but isn't it worth it?  I am amazed that we are capable of having such a devoted and intimate relationship, but God has always meant for marriage to be that kind of relationship--different and greater than any other relationship that you have in your life.  He created us to be with another person, to want companionship, and marriage is the greatest relationship we can have with a fellow human being.  I love it!  That's how we can put up with flatulence that wakes us out of a dead slumber.  That's how we can tolerate the cold feet.  That's how we can laugh about the conversation we had with our spouse, who doesn't remember any of it, from the night before.  It's an incredible blessing from the Lord, not to be taken lightly or entered into without a lot of thought.  And, hopefully my husband would agree, entirely worth it!


The Bible is full of passages referring to marriage, and what should be expected in a marriage relationship, but I find that I am always drawn to I Corinthians 13 4-7 to find what is expected of me, and what I should also expect:  "4.Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  5.It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  6.Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  7.It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."  The passage does not just apply to a marriage relationship, though.  It applies to all relationships we have.  If you want something more marriage-specific, then perhaps you would like Colossians 3 18-19: "18.Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.  19.Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Your input is appreciated. Don't worry, it'll post soon. Have a good day!

ShareThis