Wednesday, September 3

Summer, Where Have You Gone?

Psalm 74:15-16
The day is Yours, and Yours also the night; You established the sun and moon.   It was You who set all the boundaries of the earth; You made both summer and winter.
I am struggling with the loss of summer for another year.  Where has it gone?  It seems like just yesterday that the the trees were only starting to open their leaves and the days were getting longer.  Now it's September and it's hard to believe that we'll be buying pumpkins and apple cider soon, and warming ourselves by the fire pit during those brisk fall nights.  I've enjoyed this summer, but now it's almost gone, and I'm sad about having to say goodbye for another year. 

Song of Solomon 2:10-13
“My beloved responded and said to me, ‘Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come along.  For behold, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone.  
The flowers have already appeared in the land; the time has arrived for pruning the vines, and the voice of the turtledove has been heard in our land. 
The fig tree has ripened its figs, and the vines in blossom have given forth their fragrance.  Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come along!’”

However, I am blessed to have spent another summer with my beloved.

Proverbs 10:5
He who gathers in summer is a son who acts wisely, but he who sleeps in harvest is a son who acts shamefully.
Our big project this summer was fixing our porch and building our flower bed in the front of the house.  The fruits of our labor have been very enjoyable, and some of our plants will continue to bloom into the fall.  I thought I'd post an update on how it's doing!  The summer has been very dry, but thankfully not scorching hot, so with some watering and Miracle Grow, it's done well. 
We have lost a few plants, mostly to rabbit nibbles and zealous squirrels planting peanuts.  I'm eager to see it begin to grow again in the spring, but it's time to let things start to fade for the year now.  The frost will be here before we know it, and another summer will be little more than a memory.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Your input is appreciated. Don't worry, it'll post soon. Have a good day!

ShareThis