Sunday, September 7

Dairy Free Pizza...It Can Be Done

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll know that I recently discovered that I can't tolerate dairy anymore without having health problems.  Because of this, I've had to cut out dairy, including cheese, butter, milk, cream, etc., etc.  One thing that I really miss is pizza.  I miss the gooey, stringy cheese, and there is just no substitution for it.  However, I think I might have found a way around it!

In honor of Sunday afternoon football, which is on TV now, here is the play-by-play of my new recipe for dairy-free pizza.  This recipe makes one pizza and breadsticks.

Here's the lineup!
Playing offense:
#1, Olive oil (QB)--Cal Tech
#2, Refrigerated pizza dough (or use your favorite recipe) (C)--University of Iowa
(At the time of writing this post, the Pillsbury pizza crust is dairy-free)

#3, Hummus (G)--Purdue University
#4, Pizza sauce -- store bought or homemade (T)--University of Tennesee
#5, Earth Balance spread (RB)--Indiana State University
#6, Garlic salt (WR)--University of Michigan
#7, Garlic powder (TE)--University of Michigan

#8, Nutritional yeast flakes (optional) (T)--University of Phoenix

#9, Toppings of your choice (second string)--I used arugula, spinach and diced tomatoes

Here are the plays:
First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Drizzle olive oil onto a large baking sheet with shallow sides.  Use your fingers or a paper towel to spread the olive oil around to coat the pan completely.

Next, tear a small chunk of dough off of the roll.  Set it on one side of the pan.  Press the larger chunk of remaining dough into a round or rectangular shape, to your desired thickness.  Do the same for the smaller piece of dough--these will be your breadsticks.

Now, drizzle a small amount of olive oil onto both pieces of dough, and spread evenly.

Spread hummus onto the larger piece of dough--use as much or little as you'd like.  It's your taste.
Dab pizza sauce on and spread it evenly.

Drop small dollops of Earth Balance spread onto the top of the pizza sauce.  Drop small dollops of EB onto the breadstick dough and spread to create an even layer.


Sprinkle both doughs with garlic salt to your taste.  Dust the breadstick dough with a layer of garlic powder.

Sprinkle nutritional flakes onto the pizza dough.

If using meats like pepperoni, etc. (or anything that needs to be baked), add them now.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the dough turns golden brown on the edges.

While the dough is baking, prep your toppings.  I washed and tore the greens into bite-sized pieces, then blotted them dry on paper towels.

Once the pizza is baked, remove from the oven and add the rest of your toppings.  Eat right away!

A side note--my crust was a bit soggy in the middle, presumably from the liquid in the hummus and sauce.  To solve that problem, pre-bake your crust for 8-10 minutes to give the center a chance to cook before adding the other ingredients.  I used a refrigerated dough because I didn't have time to make my own dough, but I think it would be even better with a homemade crust.

Final score: Andrea, 7; pizza with cheese, 0!

If you try this, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Your input is appreciated. Don't worry, it'll post soon. Have a good day!

ShareThis