Sunday, August 5

Hubby's First Haircut


 Tonight, I feel like sharing a story from the early years of our marriage.  Please to enjoy.
Inside view of the church where we were married

           My husband and I were married in 2004.  During that first year of marriage, we remained living in the same town that hubby was from, where his family still resides, and where his mother, a beautician by trade, continued to lovingly give her son free haircuts on a regular basis.  I had no problem with that, mainly because I had no experience with haircutting.  At all.  As in, I'd never cut any hair--never given a doll a haircut, never cut my dog's hair, never tried to trim my own bangs, nothing.  Nada.  Zero.  Zilch.

After we had been married a little more than a year, hubby had decided to take a job that required us to move from Indiana to Kentucky, and away from his hairdresser.  Since we were moving away, he asked me to learn how his mother does it so that I could cut his hair from then on.  So his mom kindly showed me how to cut his hair one time.  Then I inherited the scissors (so to speak).  It seemed to be easy, and I watched carefully and took lots of mental notes.
Normal hair style and length.  Remember this for later.
 When the time finally came for hubby to have his hair cut, about six weeks after we moved, I went out and bought a little plastic comb, cape, scissors, a spray bottle, and a hair removing brush that his mom had recommended—it had a chamber to put baby powder in it which would be released when a little button on the handle was pushed.  The baby powder was supposed to help the brush get all of the little pieces of hair off of hubby.  Armed with all of the tools I needed, I began to cut his hair.  It was a looong haircut—I worked hard for an hour and a half, or maybe longer.  I was so very nervous!  I did everything just as I had remembered seeing it done.  I pulled the hair between my fingers and cut, cut, cut away all of the extra, and I mean ALL of the extra. My mother-in-law did not tell me how long to leave the hair, so I just put my fingers flat against his head and cut off all of the hair on the other side.  My poor husband!  He usually kept his hair a little longer on top than the back, but not that time!  After all of that cutting, he looked like he had just gotten a buzz cut.  As soon as I had finished, I knew I had done it wrong…and I was so scared and nervous that I started laughing uncontrollably.  You know that totally inappropriate laugh that you can't control, because you are so uncomfortable in the situation that you just don't know what to do?  That's the laugh that bubbled up and spilled out.  And wouldn't stop.
  That tipped him off and he asked for the mirror, so I handed it to him, my hand shaking, trying so hard not to pee my pants.  He was so kind and understanding, because he knew that I was scared to cut his hair anyway, but when he looked in the mirror, his first comment was, “Wow, I didn’t know you could cut hair this short with scissors…” At this comment, I doubled over with laughter.  It took a while to regain my composure.
I still had to brush the hair off of him, and I had loaded the brush full of baby powder.  I pushed the button a few times to get the powder into the bristles and began to brush off his neck, ears and back, and what I thought was a little bit of powder was actually a lot.  Big white clouds of baby powder drifted into the air and swirled around my husband, coating him in white.  He begged me to stop, and when the powder cleared, there sat my beloved husband, pale from the layer of baby powder and at a loss of what to do about his now very short hair.  I lost it, and started laughing all over again.  It was so memorable that we took pictures of his very short hair.  It took about a month for his hair to grow out to the length that he usually liked it, and he wore a hat for almost that entire time!
Photos from the first cut, in the front
There would be no spiking, or any other styling, for at least a month
Epilogue:
I have gotten somewhat better at cutting his hair, although some haircuts are still admittedly better than others.  I will never be as good of a haircutter as my mother-in-law.

Moral of the story: an understanding husband is a precious thing.  And you can get a buzz cut using scissors.

"The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain"-Proverbs 31:11.  I love being married to the most perfect match for me in this life.  Thank you, my dear husband, for eight years (and counting) of wonderful adventures, and occasionally, misadventures.  I can't imagine my life any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Your input is appreciated. Don't worry, it'll post soon. Have a good day!

ShareThis