Saturday, August 11

Balloon Fest!

We had quite a day today!  I've been looking forward to the weekend for most of the week anyway, so having plans for today made it even better.  We started out by going to an auction for antique arms and artifacts this morning.  Hubby had an interest in three antique flintlock rifles that were up for sale, but we walked out with nothing--the total sum of the three guns ended up going for over $10,000.  Needless to say, a bit out of our price range!  But it was still enjoyable.  Afterward, we went for barbecue and then a walk around the mall.  Home for a while (and I might have dozed off while hubby was watching the ballgame), then we decided to go out to the annual Balloon Fest on the south side of town.  I think we have gone every year that we've been here...or maybe missed only one year...I'm not sure.  We knew it would be busy, but we went anyway...neither one of us likes to be around large groups of people, but we survived.  After waiting in line for a half an hour at a concession stand, I was anxious to try deep-fried Oreos for the first time in my life.  I've heard about all of the concoctions of state fairs around the country, and the deep-fried Oreos were really popular a while back.  We found a less-populated area of the park, but a place that still had a good view of the balloons, and I tucked in.  They were great!!  I loved how the cookie was coated with the batter and powdered sugar, and the cookie and cream filling inside was warm and soft.  In fact, the cream was a bit gooey, but it tasted great.  Hubby tried one, but didn't like them.  More for me!  Then it was time for the illumination, and the end of the festival for the night.  There were going to be fireworks afterward, but we weren't planning to stick around for that.  Below are some photos of the coolness of seeing the balloons all lit up in the evening dusk:
Last balloon glow for the night
Someone had a lighthouse balloon!


Oooooh, pretty

Glowing

Again, a lighthouse.  Who knew you could fly a lighthouse?

I liked this picture: low, middle, high

*Drool* Deep fried Oreos.  Five came in an order.  One was already in my belly before it occurred to me that I should take a picture.
Sorry, no Owl Corner this week.  It's past my bedtime.  I just wanted to share the pretty hot air balloons with you.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Your input is appreciated. Don't worry, it'll post soon. Have a good day!

ShareThis