Wednesday, March 16

The New, The Mundane

Snow Gone For Good?
Can it be true?  I think it is, but it is still March!  There is none in the forecast for the week, though, so I'm cautiously optimistic.  It's nice to look out and see the ground again, and to be able to venture out of the house without all of my winter gear protecting me.  The weather today was beautiful, and promises to be even nicer tomorrow and Friday.  Oh Mr. Groundhog, could it be true??

Anniversary Trip
I didn't think that hubby and I would be going anywhere for our anniversary this year, but we have decided to make plans after all.  We are going to be heading up to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village.  I've been there before, a long time ago, but hubby has never been.  I'm really looking forward to it!  We're both taking a week off and we'll spend two of those days there.  If you've never been there, or don't even know what I'm talking about, the museum and village are huge.  It'll take a day to go through each one.  The museum itself is home to many displays that range from the beginnings of the Ford company and the history of automobiles and aviation, to more current events like the car that Kennedy was assassinated in, as well as clothing, Civil War, and all sorts of other unique exhibits.  I would guess that it is similar to a small-scale Smithsonian museum, as far as artifacts go (although I've never been to the Smithsonian.  I'd love to go, though!).  Greenfield village is an outdoor history park.  Henry Ford actually started Greenfield Village, purchasing several of the buildings that now exist here.  All of the buildings are historic in some way--from Thomas Edison's home, and displays of several different light bulbs that he tried before creating the light bulb, to the Firestone Farm (of Firestone tires), to the Heinz home (duh, ketchup!), all the way back to the thatched-roof Cotswold Cottage from England that dates back to the mid-1600s (a great display of 17th century life), as well as a variety of historic homes and stores in between.  Some buildings have interpreters, but others are just open to walk through.  I really hope that my memory serves me correctly; it seems like when I revisit things and places from the past, they have changed too much, usually for the worse.  I'll be sure to write all about the trip after we get back.  But, I think that this will be very fun and enjoyable.  Besides, I'll be celebrating seven years of marriage to the man I love!  That will make it all worthwhile.

Cameras I'm Considering to Buy--Any Opinions?
Since we are planning a trip, I'm desperate to find a camera that I will love, and that will give me great pictures of what we see and do.  I've been researching cameras for a while, and just came across a Nikon Coolpix that I am very interested.  The only thing that doesn't interest me about this camera is the price--over $300.  They are releasing a lower-priced version this week, and it might not have as many bells and whistles, but that would probably be fine for me.  I love to take pictures, but I am amateur at best, and can't really justify spending that kind of money for a camera right now.  I would love it if you wanted to tell me what kind of camera you would recommend, or what digital cameras have worked best for you in the past.  I had a Nikon Coolpix when I was in college, and I liked it a lot, but it was very low-powered, right when digital cameras were coming onto the market and were very expensive.  The cameras I have been considering are below:
Nikon Coolpix s8100
Nikon Coolpix s6100
Canon Powershot SX200-is

I'm leaning towards one, but I would love input!

Marriage--Oh, The Things I Can't Tell
I will admit that I love being married.  I think it's the one thing I've always wanted in my life.  I've never been bent on a high-powered career, I've never felt the urge to raise children, but I always wanted to be married and have someone beside me who I loved more than anyone or anything else in life.  Sure, it's not for everyone, but it was absolutely for me!  I know seven years isn't long in the grand scheme of things (I'm shooting for, say, fifty or sixty years!), but it's been long enough to know that while it's a lot of work, it's also a lot of fun.  I have a built-in best friend right there all of the time!  There are so many stories I wish I could share, because they are so funny...like the first time I gave him a haircut (and my first time cutting hair ever!), who knew I was capable of giving a near-buzz cut with scissors??  Or that a purple giraffe balloon animal would become our mascot?  Or the time we drove to Naperville so that I could interview for a job--we ended up being part of one town's St. Patrick's Day parade (still don't know how) and ended up at a Days Inn that actually allowed you to check back out, and get your money back, within 15 minutes of checking in, which we did end up doing!  These things might seem mildly amusing to others, but to us they are great memories that we love to laugh about.  We have such fun together, but it's usually just little things that no one else would understand outside of our little world, population: 2, which makes the relationship all the more special.  I just want to say to my husband that you have been the greatest adventure I've ever embarked upon, and I am looking forward to every day together for the next fifty-three years ahead of us!  Praise the Lord for allowing me to meet my match :) !


"11 See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. 12 Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land. 13 The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come with me.”--Song of Solomon, 2:11-13.  This time of year is associated with love, youth, and newness.  The beauty of spring  beckons our senses and awakens us after a long winter's nap.  Solomon and his lover were deeply in love with each other, and wanted to take every chance they could to express that between themselves.  Very romantic!  Need I say more?  If you have been blessed with a spouse, show them every day just how much he or she means to you.  Just maybe don't compare each other to goats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Your input is appreciated. Don't worry, it'll post soon. Have a good day!

ShareThis