"Boil together 1 1/2 cups sugar and 6 cups water. Add 1 large packet of strawberry gelatin. Cool. Pour on berries."
"Wash gently in cold water, drain and remove caps. Slice or crush berries in a large bowl. Use 1 cup sugar to 7 cups berries, or sweeten to taste, then freeze. We use ziplock bags."
Now, boiling the sugar and water together wasn't hard, but I also wasn't sure if it should boil for a certain amount of time. I brought the sugar water to a boil and just added the gelatin at that point. I also wasn't sure if the mixture should boil for any length of time after the gelatin was added, so I just mixed the gelatin until it was completely dissolved and then let the liquid come back to a boil. I then turned off the burner and removed the pot from the heat. I set it on a cooling rack to help the liquid cool faster. As a side note, then strawberry liquid never really thickened, but it did have a good flavor, like strawberry Kool-Aid.
While waiting for the gelatin liquid to cool, I commenced washing and slicing the remaining bucket of strawberries, which gave me eight cups of strawberry slices.
I emptied the slices into a large bowl and added a cup of sugar and mixed it all together.
At this point, the liquid had sufficiently cooled to slightly warmer than room temperature, so I began pouring it over the berries. Then I decided that I didn't want to do it that way. I do that a lot.
I decided to measure out two cups of berries per quart freezer bag, then added enough strawberry liquid to the bag to submerge the slices. I ladled it into the bags, and it might have been about a cup of the liquid in each bag.
Doing it this way, I had enough to fill three bags with two cups of strawberries and then add the juice. If anyone has a different method for this or has done this in the past, I'd love to hear from you!