Saturday, June 7

Chicken and Zucchini Saute: A Simple Summer Recipe

We had a delicious dinner tonight, if I do say so myself!  I was looking through the fridge and remembered that I bought a couple of zucchini at the grocery store, and I had set some chicken out to thaw for dinner, and it was a revelation.  Why not cook them together?  I'm sure no one in the history of the world has ever thought of that.

I also decided to thaw some dinner rolls for dinner--Rhode's rolls are the only kind that I buy, and they are by far my favorite.  Pair that with some olive oil and the canister of dipping herbs that I bought at GFS, and boom!  Dinner is served.

About the olive oil mentioned above, I also have to give a shout out to flavor-infused olive oils.  I have a bottle of garlic-infused and a bottle of butter flavored in my pantry.  The garlic olive oil is my favorite, but the butter has its place too, and it's a great alternative to the times I need to fry something and don't want to use butter, as was the case this night.  If you have the opportunity to pick up some of these specialty olive oils, DO IT!  You won't regret it.

All of these things mentioned above contributed to this incredibly easy dinner.  Seriously, if it was any easier, you'd be at a restaurant and someone would be cooking dinner for you.  So, without further ado, I give you:

Chicken and Zucchini Saute!
What you'll need:
A pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
A pound of zucchini, washed, with skins on, and cut into quarter slices
4 TBSP garlic-infused olive oil, divided
Salt
Pepper
Other spices to your taste (I used a garlic and herb mix for the chicken)
Optional: shredded or grated Parmesan cheese, for topping

What you do:
Heat 2 TBSP olive oil in a deep 10 or 12 inch skillet.  Brown the chicken, seasoning with salt, pepper and other spices to taste.  When the chicken is browned, remove it from the pan and add the zucchini.  Drizzle the remaining 2 TBSP olive oil over top of the zucchini, and salt and pepper to taste.  Toss the zucchini and let it cook for about 5 minutes, until it's slightly soft and starting to brown.
I love this wooden spoon: I purchased it on Etsy from a shop called KitchenCarvings, if you're interested!

Add the chicken back into the pan and stir to re-warm the chicken.

Voila!  You're done.  Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top, and pair with some wild rice, dinner bread, or any other simple side of your choice.  This is a great way to start using some of the zucchini that's coming into season this time of the year.  Hubby's rating: back for seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Your input is appreciated. Don't worry, it'll post soon. Have a good day!

ShareThis