Tuesday, November 30

The Holidays Are Here!

Turkey Day
Another Thanksgiving has come and gone.  I hope it went well for all of you!  We spent the holiday with my husband's family, and a good time was had, and delicious food was eaten.  A new vehicle was purchased.  A brother-in-law is healing.  Just your typical holiday.  Right now, it seems so busy.  I feel like I have no time at all to get things done!  I truly miss my housewife days.  I really enjoyed it, and I felt like I was good at it...probably the first time I felt that way about anything.  I miss having time to do my typical holiday baking, which I love to do so much.  Sigh.  Such is the life of a working woman...just have to trudge through the days and try to get to retirement, when I'll be happy again!  Really, though, there is much for which to thank the Lord, including our jobs.  We both have relatively good health, all of our family is still with us, we have a roof over our head, food on the table and in the pantry, and even the occasional toy.  Most importantly, I'm thankful for what God has given us all, if we choose to accept such a gift.  That's the biggest thing to be thankful for--the promise of an eternity spent with the One who created us! 

Date Night
We are seeing our first snows tonight.  I doubt it will accumulate, but it is still pretty.  The air holds that fresh snow scent, and it is refreshingly cold.  We went to a viewing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, pt. 1, tonight, and when we came out of the theater it was sleeting pretty heavily.  It was a pretty good adaptation of the book, according to hubby--I have read all of the books, but it was a while ago and I don't really remember anymore!  Oh well.  It is not a movie I would recommend for younger children, but I think that teens and older would be fine.  Overall, it was an enjoyable movie date for us, and the second half of the movie should be the best half. 

Christmas Is Coming
We have our tree up, finally.  I used to look forward to putting up the tree on Thanksgiving, or the day after, but since we've been married I don't think we've ever done that, usually because we are gone visiting family for the holiday and don't come home for a few days afterward.  This year, we opted for a real tree--the first time for us as a couple.  We went to see what a Christmas tree farm had to offer about 20 minutes south of town, but the trees were waaay too expensive for us.  Instead, we visited with the reindeer, donkeys, calf and turkeys that they had for petting, and visited the gift shop where I purchased a front door decoration.  We stopped at a tree lot in town to check their prices, which weren't any better than the farm, but they had a huge tree on display, about fourteen feet tall, and I couldn't help but think of how fun it would be to have a house that would be able to accommodate such a large tree.  And it would be fun to decorate!  But we moved on to Lowe's to return something, and while we were there we found our Frasier fir.  It smells so nice in our living room, and it was half the price of the other trees we looked at.  I can't wait to decorate it!  I'll try to post some current pictures. 

Obviously, we think of what we are thankful for this time of year, and look forward to celebrating the Christmas in a few more weeks.  I try to give thanks to the Lord every day for what He has provided, because it can all be gone in a flash.  Psalm 100 is a psalm of thanksgiving: "1Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.  2Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.  3Know that the LORD is God.  It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.  4Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.  5For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Your input is appreciated. Don't worry, it'll post soon. Have a good day!

ShareThis