Sunday, December 9

Twelve Days of Christmas Recipes, Day 2: Chicken Pot Pie--My Hubby's Favorite Recipe!

I have really been in the mood for comfort food lately.  I think it's a combination of the (constantly) changing weather, which wreaks havoc on my sinuses, and the shorter days that accompany this time of year.  I don't remember where I got this recipe for chicken pot pie, but I'm almost certain that it was online somewhere.  I've adjusted it to my tastes, and wanted to share it.  My husband says it his favorite recipe for pot pies.  You can't get much higher praise than that!  Here's the recipe, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do on cold, blustery nights!

Day 2: Chicken Pot Pie
Ingredients:
1 lb. cooked boneless skinless chicken, cubed or chopped
1 C sliced carrots
1 C frozen peas
1 or 2 cubed potatoes
1/3 C butter
1/3 C flower
1 3/4 C chicken broth, + some for boiling
2/3 C milk
1 or 2-9" pie crusts (I use Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts--it really has a good flavor for being pre-made)
Seasonings: chicken base (not bouillon cubes, there is a difference), garlic, oregano, paprika, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper--all to taste

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 425*.  Lightly spray a pie pan or round 2 quart or larger casserole dish.  Prepare your chicken to your preference; I actually boil the chicken pieces whole in water mixed with chicken base.  When they are fully cooked, remove from the water and set on a cutting board to cool.  Cube or shred, and set aside.
 
Pour out the water in the pot, but keep the pot for the next step!  In the same pot add the carrots, peas, and potatoes.  Add enough chicken broth to cover things in the pot (hint: I pour my 1 3/4 C of broth into a measuring cup and set it aside, then add the remaining broth to the pot.  If it's not enough to cover the veggies, I just add enough water to cover everything).
Boil veggies for 15 minutes, then remove from heat.  Drain the veggies and set aside.  In the same pot again, melt your butter over medium heat.  Once it's melted, add your flour and spices.  Go light on the spices now; you can add more to make it great later.  Once those are combined and resembling a paste, add your chicken broth and milk.  Simmer this over medium-low heat until it's thickened to your liking.  Remove it from the heat.  Taste it and add more spices if necessary.  Mix the chicken, drained veggies, and gravy together in your casserole dish, and add the top crust.
Because my casserole dish is a bit smaller than the pie crust, I fold the extra over to create a thicker outer crust.
 
Be sure to cut slits in the crust for ventilation.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.  Allow to sit and cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Sometimes I like to have a top and bottom crust.  If you are making the pie with a bottom crust, bake the crust for 5-7 minutes in the pan before adding the filling.  It will help the bottom crust from getting soggy.  This is soooo good and filling on a cold winter's night!


Luke 2:4-5: So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David.  He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Your input is appreciated. Don't worry, it'll post soon. Have a good day!

ShareThis